Thursday, February 15, 2007

World Hunger Broke my heart

Dear Tricia,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the food crisis in Niger. I certainly understand your concern, and I share your distress over the terrible human suffering in this region.

I am deeply committed to combating world hunger and poverty, and I believe the U.S. must be a leader in this fight. As a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the Subcommittee on Africa, you can rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as we continue to work on these issues in the 109th Congress.

In the meantime, I have contacted Secretary Rice about what more the U.S. can and should be doing to address the crisis in Niger, as well as serious food shortages in the neighboring countries of Mail, Burkina Faso and Mauritania. I will let you know what I hear.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Barack Obama
United States Senator
9/6/05

No comments: